Thursday 8 July 2010

Blog 8th July

Well noone can say that the week started well! Fortunately I missed the first half of the football as I was attending the County Council Civic Service on Sunday but rather unfortunately, I did have to witness the second half which I think we'd all rather forget!

On a far more positive note, I had the privilige of visiting the National School in Hucknall where I met with the Head to discuss their ambitious plans for the future. I had the further honour of being asked to award prizes and certificates at their prize giving that afternoon and was able to meet with some very industrious students over coffee at the John Godber Centre. I'm also hoping that the 6th form pupils will take me up on my offer to come and witness Government first hand with a day trip down to Parliament.

Tuesday saw a lengthy debate around the subject of Local Government which I was glad to take part in. I think the Government's mission to drive down bureaucracy and move decision making back to local people is going to have a hugely positive impact on Sherwood. I'm completely behind Eric Pickles' ambition to promote decentralisation and democratic engagement, and end the era of top down government by giving new powers to local councils, communities, neighbourhoods and individuals.

This evening I will be meeting with Ken Clarke to discsuss his priorities for the probation service and prisoner reform. The subject of anti-social behaviour came up again and again on the doorsteps and I haven't forgotten! The current system is failing and as Ken said today: "More than half of the crime in this country is committed by people who have been through the system. We must now take action and shut off this revolving door of crime and reoffending." I look forward to hearing his further thoughts.

I'm heading back to the constituency for the rest of the week now and if there's anything you need to get in touch with me about, please don't hesitate. I hold two surgeries a month, one in Hucknall on the 2nd Saturday of the month from 10am to 12pm at Under One Roof, 3a Vine Terrace, NG15 7HN and the second in Ollerton on the fourth Friday of the month from 5pm till 7pm at Dukeries College. You can also reach me at mark.spencer.mp@parliament.uk or at my constituency office, 0115 968 1186.

No comments:

Post a Comment