Thursday 8 July 2010

Weekly Blog: July 1st

It's been another hectic week! On Saturday I met with Residents in Edwinstowe to discuss the proposed renovation of the Robin Hood Visitor Centre. I still have reservations about the need to flatten the existing site rather than refurbish it and I have further reservations about Natural England's insistence that the original site is returned to 'ancient woodland'. Residents have raised concerns about the noise and dust pollution that will come with the development and if it is to go ahead, we must make sure that residents' privacy and property, particularly on Maythorne Grove, are respected throughout.

Residents in Rainworth have had huge problems with traffic leaving the highway on a particularly sharp bend and crashing into their rear gardens. I've met with residents to hear their concerns (and see the damage) and will be meeting with highways to discuss the problem and find a suitable resolution.

On Sunday there was abit of light relief with the Lambley Schools' summer fair, and continuing on the schools theme, I hosted a class of children from Woodborough Woods at my farm on Monday to see the animals and to learn abit more about where food comes from.

Back in London, on Monday afternoon I met with Catch 21, a production company which produces videos, events and programmes to help engage 14-25 year olds with politics, democracy and community to chat to them about my first few weeks in Parliament. It's important to engage with young people and encourage their participation in politics and I think its key to reengaging people with politics.

On Tuesday I met with the All Party Parliamentary Group for Coalfields. Creating jobs has to be the cornerstone of our economic recovery and we must make more opportunities in areas like Sherwood. The development of Rufford Colliery into industrial units for example is the kind of project we should of been doing ten years ago and we need to catch up and I aim to and I aim to support such developments to my full ability.

That afternoon I attended a presentation from the Minister for Agriculture with the All Party Parliamentary Group for Food and Agriculture to hear about sustainable Agriculture, food labeling and supporting our farmers in their dealings with large scale traders.

Last night I met with East Midlands Trains to discuss their plans for the future and later with the National Council for Voluntary Organisations to hear how Government could better support local volunteers.

It was a late night, the debate in the Chamber didn't finish until past 2am!

If you have anything you need to discuss or there are any issues you feel I should know about, please don't hesitate to get in touch. I hold two surgeries a month, one in Hucknall on the 2nd Saturday of the month 10-12 am Under One Roof, 3a Vine Terrace, NG15 7HN and the second in Ollerton on the 4th Friday on the month 5-7pm at the Dukeries College.

Thanks for reading...